Saturday, August 2, 2008

"It's been so long..."

I just finished a two week vacation and am still getting used to normal life again. During this time, I did not write a word. In fact the last three blog entries were written before vacation (don't ask why I didn't just leave a gap). And before vacation, there was also a gap with no writing.

When you reach this point where life has interfered with your schedule and you feel like you are starting from scratch, you find out who you are. I only see two real choices: writer or pretender. If you are a writer, you will write. The "why" is irrelevant. It may be something you need to communicate. It may just be a longing to be in the bookstore string at your book. The simple dividing line is the discipline of writing. Setbacks are short term, not permanent.

So now I face my moment. The pen is dry. The story hazy. What will I do?

I will read the last two chapters I finished. I will review my outline. I will read my character summaries. Then I will write. Will it be hard? Absolutely. That is part of the package. Is it worth it to me? The answer lies in how well I follow my plan.

Are your excuses winning over your writing? Think about it. Are you a writer or pretender?

Choose your path, persist, and you (and i) will reach the goal eventually.

http://www.jhughthomas.com
http://www.myspace.com/jhughthomas

No comments: