Saturday, August 23, 2008

Juggling multiple writing projects

Confession time. In spite of the fact that I am a highly skilled amateur writer (please, control your laughter), and that I possess a military discipline in my novel writing practices (again, no laughing), I do have a weakness. Even though I know it is easier to focus on one project at a time, I have difficulty following that rule.

Since I am not a professional writer, I have no deadlines to weigh me down. I am a free man. Which can also make me a slave to bad habits. I think I have found a balance, but I welcome input from others on what works for you.

For me, I decided to limit myself to one writing project per "type" at any given time. By type I mean song, short story, movie screenplay, book, etc.

Right now I am writing a plot outline, then a screenplay, for a movie that my family will make together just for fun. My kids love making movies and so do I. I am also, of course, working on a novel. Just recently I finished writing a song for a friend of mine who plays and sings in clubs around town.

My priority remains the novel. How can you tell? I still reserve the early morning time slot for the novel. If I work on other projects, I make time for them at other times of the day.

Bottom line, I just can not control my desire to embrace many creative outlets in an overlapping time frame. If you are the same way, just make sure you still maintain a priority structure.

www.jhughthomas.com
www.myspace.com/jhughthomas

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog, J Hugh.

Oh, for the love of the goddess, you sound just like me in your multi-tasking processes. It is the mark of a highly skilled writer for sure. I've heard that a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind. what is a cluttered screen a sign of? LOL!