Saturday, January 3, 2009

Writing Contests for 2009

Happy New year to all, which means a whole new wave of writing contests are rolling out. This article from writers-editors.com is an excellent listing of contests, in order by the submission deadline. The deadlines range from January 15 to May 15, so you have time.

These contests cover a wide range, from poetry to a one page plot synopsis. You can start from the time you read this blog and be ready to submit by the deadline. Why not? What do you have to loose?

Here are some other listings.
Perhaps the best place to start is Writer's Digest.

Contests for best mystery, private eye, or first crime novel.

For later in the year, September, consider the three day novel writing contest.

Another list of non-fiction, flash fiction, short fiction, etc. contests.

As for my writing update, I FINISHED THE SCREENPLAY! I actually finished it late on New Year's Eve, so it was done in 2008. Thank you to Scriptologist.com for the article on screenplay formatting (which I knew nothing about) and to Microsoft for having a downloadable screenplay template for MS Word 2003. I am in the process of moving all the text into a formatted version, but the first draft of creative work is done.

Incidentally, the entire first draft of the screenplay will end up being around fifty formatted pages which according to FilmSchoolOnline.com equals about fifty minutes of screen time, a convenient 1-to-1 ratio of pages to minutes. In addition, the entire first draft was written on the small keypad of my T-Mobile Shadow phone.

After I finish moving the text into a formatted screenplay, I will be back to working on the novel with a fury. Next time, or at least soon, I plan to blog about picking up on a novel that has been set aside for a while.

Until then, let's keep on writing.

www.jhughthomas.com
www.myspace.com/jhughthomas
Facebook Account

1 comment:

n/a said...

The 3-day novel contest always seem unreasonable to me. But at the same time I can't stop thinking "what if???".
good post !