Monday, January 4, 2010

yWriter5 Writing Software Review

I decided to start the year out by trying to be more organized in my writing. I have a system, but it consists of individual files for things like character summaries, plot outline, and chapter summaries. Knowing that there is software out there for writers, I decided to search and see what I could find.

After reviewing a long list of possibilities, I focused in on yWriter5. I watched the video demo and I was sold. It is feature rich, very light-weight, and FREE! And as an unpublished writer, I am a big fan of free.

I formatted my latest writing project in rtf format with chapter headings as required by yWriter5, and was able to import my whole project and have it automatically create the chapter division files.

You have options to add characters with character details, locations, items, and scenes which make up your chapters. Because of the "scene" approach, it is easy to drag scenes between chapters or rearrange them as your story fleshes out.

The reports are helpful, and you can even do a word-count report to help you stick to your writing goals.

I am really amazed at how much this free program offers, and from what I have seen so far, you are getting a top quality program.

Check it out at http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5.html

Until next time, let's keep on writing.

www.jhughthomas.com

2 comments:

KC Randall said...

I am totally in love with this software! Thanks so much for reviewing it. I think it's going to be a big help in finishing my next book.

J Hugh Thomas said...

KC, I'm glad it helped, and best of luck on your next book!