Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Making time: Have a routine.

Alarm at 5:50 am. Shower and off to work. After the evening routine with family obligations, when am I to write?

I finally decided in early 2007 that I had to make time if I ever wanted to write my novel. So I established a routine where I could meet my obligations and write.

Wake up between 4:30-5:00am and write for 1-1 1/2 hours before getting ready for work. And do the same on the weekend where I can write for a longer session. Sometimes I would bring my QuickPad to work and write during my lunch break.

The point is if you want to do it badly enough, you will make the sacrifices necessary to make it happen. I am not the most disciplined person in the world, so it had to develop as a high priority before I reached the point of sacrificing sleep in order to write.

I hope that you have more free time than I do to write. If not, just remember that the extra sleep will be forgotten after you wake up, but a novel will last forever.

No comments: