Saturday, June 28, 2008

More on writers block

If looking at character did not resolve your writing woes, what then? Unfortunately, I have this problem from time to time, and I may not have the answer. Here is my best attempt.

Plot is usually what I get hung up on. I know where I want to end up, but the steps to get there are evasive. Why not focus on the why? You may be thinking, isn't that the same as focusing on character, and motivation? No, because I am talking about you, the writer.

If you are writing an introspective drama or an action thriller, you are writing from a world view. Hopefully you are aware of this, and you know what perspective you are writing from. Either way, it is easy to forget or ignore during the writing process. Stop and think about why you chose your characters, the setting, the conflict, the moral. Be introspective to discover what it is you are trying to say.

I should add that you can go too far. You do not want to turn some moral stance into the "in your face" message. Readers will see right through it and be insulted. Your job is to entertain. But readers do expect a world view to be in play--it is inevitable. If you recognize this balance, the world view and "the point" can be a beacon to get your story on track.

What serves the point of the story? Does it fit the world view bring presented? Brainstorm using these questions as metrics and you may find yourself writing again, back on track, and staying true to the heart of your story.

http://www.jhughthomas.com/
www.myspace.com/jhughthomas

1 comment:

Terry Finley said...

I am new to your blog,
and I like what I see.

Thanks

Terry Finley

http://theterryfinleysite.blogspot.com/